Friday, May 16, 2008

Family Vacation

Since the birth of Haddie, we have not taken a trip anywhere farther away than 5 hours. That was just to my parents house who have everything we need in case I forgot something. This time, we are headed to Virginia. In an airplane. With 2 kids. HELP!! What do we do? Anyone have tips for traveling? We are hitting some websites pretty hard but would love advice from people who have been there....Leslie Sloan, this means you!!!
BTW, I am currently watching the Today show with the New Kids on the Block. I was totally excited to check them out but have found myself GRAVELY disappointed. Just a bunch of middle aged men parading around the stage and singing off key. Bummer.
We are off to purchase our $10 sandbox from craigslist!!! I am sure by this afternoon we will have pictures to post of the kiddos playing in it!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

oh the airplane ride...it is trouble. No way around it. I feel like I am packing for war everytime we take a plane trip.

So here are my suggestions:
Gum. Harrison will love this novelty. It won't work on Hads, but Harrison will think its hilarious and you will have to keep telling him not to swallow it. But it is good entertainment.

Temporary Tattoos. They have saved my life in small places like planes, doctors offices etc. They take no time, and then you get to talk about what they are tatooed with.

Beaded Necklaces. The kind they throw at Mardi Gras. You can put them on stuffed animals, wear them, put them on you, Chris, etc.

I keep the tattoos, necklaces and art supplies (crayons, paper, sticker and sticker books) all in one large leather envelope that I got from Office Max. It is mommy's goody bag and they never get to look into it. I always pull things out of it.

Also, go to Zaxby's, McDonalds, any fastfood place in the next week. Save the kids toys and put them in the envelope. Sure fire five minute winners. Zaxby's has the best age appropriate toys for our kids.

Also, the portable DVD player. I tried headphones, but Lucy wouldn't wear them at Christmas time (when she was Hads age), but the plane is so loud anyway, we didn't disturb anyone by just letting it play outloud. And if they have a problem with it, you can ask them if they would rather have a screaming baby. I would play Elmo, Wiggles or Baby Einstein. Something that both of them would enjoy rather than just for Harrison.

Also, FOOD. You can't go wrong with gummy treats, graham cracker and granola bars. The plane has juice and you can't carry it through security anyway.
That's it. That is the top of my head advice. Happy trails to you!
Also, look at parenthacks.com for more travel tips
Love you all!

Unknown said...

oh yeah and check this out:
http://www.deliciousbaby.com/journal/2007/nov/16/ten-tips-keeping-toddler-occupied-plane/

Alison said...

We've been on about six plane trips as parents & are about to go with all 3.

Here's what works with us:

Bungee Cords to Strap carseats onto your rolling suticases.
If you get a rental car, they can rent you some. If the airline loses your carseat, ask for their loaner until your return flight then ask for a refund.

Crocs or slip off shoes.
Even little guys have to peel everything off.

Layer. Never fails Lilli will be cold on the plane.

Start your Trip Bag that no one sees until you board the plane.
Flannel Pieces; Sticker Books
Browse your local Borders Sale Section. I have found Tri-Fold Flannel soft 'boards' with Disney pieces(from when our kids were 1 1/2- now he could sit and do these
for a long time); That section always sells sticker books, thin paper books & more that are under $5 & great to save for trips. I always get new ideas from whatever is there.

Portable DVD with headphones!
They make headphones where you turn a switch on the phones and the airplane noise goes away.
(If you have a once upon a child or resale store, go before the trip for a cheap movie that they'd like & make it a surprise for the trip)

Avoid toys that roll away: Watch the crayons/markers. They aren't fun when they have rolled to the back of the plane

Little Einsteins - if you are watching that, its fun to go 'pat, pat, pat Lift off! Just as they do on the show as the plane takes off.

Snacks!

Enjoy!
Ali