Monday, May 31, 2010

Not meant to be a farmer's wife




Now that we are at Pappy and Nana's we have chores. Especially when they are out of town. Like mowing the 40 acres and "grooming" the garden for whatever needs to be picked that day. In my case this past weekend was green beans. A whole 5 gallon bucket completely full. So I thought I would do a little Pioneer Woman impersonation and show you how to "prepare" green beans.

First, you wash them. Really well.
Get all those yucky bugs off.


My 5 gallon bucket full.
Have plenty of work space.
And a Diet Dr. Pepper to keep ya going!
My gallon pots of boiling water...dueling pots of water.
Chop each end off a really clean green bean.

Dice them...could be 2 or 3 parts.
Place in bowl. Once bowl is full dump in boiling water
for 5 minutes. Rinse in cool water.
Once cool, add to Ziploc bags with reserved "bean juice".
Freeze.
Would you like to know how long it took this crazy mother of 2 to do this? All flippin' day! Literally from 9am to 5pm. I would not have made the cut off back in the day. I would have been laughed off the farm. Next up, corn. Will keep you posted.

3 comments:

DHidey said...

oh my gosh--I can almost see the look on your face when you were still chopping and cooking at 5 pm! Love seeing this little glimpse of the family!

Matty D said...

You should be on Top Chef! ;-) (BTW..what a sweet kitchen. Think of the pizzas we could make there!)

Mommy K said...

Wow, what a change! MISS YOU. I'm craving green beans now.