Friday, December 12, 2008

Big Pappy


Richard Patton "Big Pappy" died 12/5/08

On my desk sits this great picture. I love it because it shows the massiveness of Big Pappy to little Harrison. Big Pappy loved to farm and he loved his great grand babies. He would take H-man outside their place, down in the valley, and pick grapefruit with him. It's a sweet memory Harrison still has of his Big Pappy.
One of my favorite memories of Big Pappy was when he told me that he took grandma to a fancy french restaurant called "Jacques". I was truly impressed and told Big Pappy so....I made such a big deal about it! The old man sat there laughing his head off at me and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why......he proceeded to tell that he took grandma to "Jack in the Box." He got me good!
It's hard to believe that he is gone. Passed away one week ago today. He went so fast and for that we are all truly grateful. My mom and dad got to be with him as he passed away. He also got to talk to them before he went to heaven to fish. He was able to communicate to the nurse to have her "kiss my love" one last time. Chris, I and the kids where able to fly to Indiana to attend the funeral along with Jake and his family. It was good to be able to say good-bye.
The funnest thing happened after the funeral. All the family and close friends where gathered at this little restaurant. We got hot dogs, chicken nuggets and french fries for the kids. I asked H-man if he would like some ketchup and he said yes. As I shook the bottle side to side and up and down the cap flew off and ketchup went flying over the table and over my head. I got nailed. On my pretty off white sweater. With no washing machine near by. Or stain remover. But it was really funny and i think Jake got a picture of it. Gonna be a classic.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing some precious memories, Jillie. What a special grandpa you had! And I love the picture of H and Big Pappy.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear about your precious loss. I know of the special bond between a grandfather & granddaughter. I know he was special in your life. Thank you for sharing. love, ali